Head of Technology
To apply: Send a resume and/or a link to your LinkedIn profile and a cover letter to email@example.com.
We will begin looking at applications the first week of January, until the position is filled.
Salary: $120,000 - $150,000 depending on experience.
Benefits: Insurance and retirement benefits provided by our fiscal sponsor.
Jam level: Full time, flexible hours.
Ragtag uses technology to make progressive organizations and candidates better at what they do. We connect tech volunteers with projects for organizations doing good work on the ground. What Ragtag does goes beyond matchmaking - we actively manage our projects, from scope to solution.
Ragtag is looking for a Head of Technology to join our core team! The Head of Tech will join the Executive Director, the Head of Product, and the Head of Community on the leadership team and will oversee Ragtag’s engineering projects, lending technical expertise and guidance. Ragtag’s projects run the spectrum from full-stack engineering to white papers and technical guides, so the Head of Tech should be comfortable reviewing engineering designs, evaluating third-party tools, and jumping into the code if needed. Equally important to all that tech stuff is working with Ragtag’s volunteers and staff to foster an inclusive community and help make projects happen in a productive, respectful manner.
- Participate in setting strategic direction for Ragtag.
- Make strategic decisions about choice of technology for internal and external projects.
- Supervise volunteers, interns, and staff with regard to technology.
- Responsible for convening and coordinating the Core Privacy and Security volunteer team and for releasing and updating Ragtag’s security recommendations.
- Manage Open Source program
- Identify Ragtag projects that are good candidates for Open Source.
- Ensure that Open Sourced projects are documented and packaged appropriately to be consumed by the general public.
- Liaise and coordinate with Open Source organizations to promote Ragtag’s work.
- Participate in OSDI and other standards organizations.
- Identify opportunities for volunteer education on technical subjects.
- Responsible for maintaining the keys to all the Ragtag tools that the volunteers need, and for making sure the right people have access and/or accounts - Heroku, Github, AWS, etc.
- Documenting and enforcing engineering best practices.
- Limited travel for Ragtag leadership team meet ups and conferences.
- Familiarity with a variety of technologies, languages, platforms, etc.
- Values a user-centered design approach.
- Comfort jumping in to help projects written in a variety of languages and platforms.
- Comfort working with a remote team.
- Experience as project architect or project lead for multi-person projects.
- Experience mentoring junior engineers to deliver high-quality products.
- Experience collaborating with non-engineering stakeholders.
Things that are cool but not required:
- Experience with progressive organizing.
- Experience and familiarity with the landscape of existing progressive organizing tools.
- Doesn’t live in San Francisco.
- Experience managing volunteers.
Things that we don’t care about:
Ragtag volunteers and staff are located across the USA, so remote work is expected. Your location is up to you.
Day to day:
- Work closely with the Head of Product, Head of Community, and Executive Director
- Manage the technical aspects of the various projects.
- Manage the technical leads on various projects.
- Go to conferences sometimes to talk about how great Ragtag is and recruit folks.
- Occasionally collaborate on mediocre to bad poetry writing.
Small, but important, print: You must be a US resident and legally able to work in the US for any employer. We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity as central to our work serving underrepresented communities, and we encourage candidates from a wide range of backgrounds to apply.